Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bambi

There is something about deer that immediately bring me to think of God.

I was thinking today about how almost every time I go for a run or walk through a park (lately Riverbends or Stoney Creek) I always pray for God to show me a deer...and He always does. It may sound silly, but when I see a deer I think of God. Something about their majestic pose, strong build, swiftness, and innocence makes me want to cry because my heart is just so happy. I can't say I have that same feeling when I'm driving in the dark and see their glowing eyes in a ditch. But seriously, when God brings a deer along my path during my journey through His wilderness, I can't help but feel Him wooing me, pursuing me to draw closer...and He never fails in capturing my attention this way.

One day I went running through the 5k trail in Riverbends and started my run off praying for God to show me a deer. Even though I really wanted to see a deer, I have to admit that I was so doubtful about even seeing a squirrel on this run. But not even halfway into it there were two deer right next to the trail. I slowed down to a walk and could have reached out to pet them. I was so happy and I could not stop smiling and thanking God for giving me more than I had asked for! Yet, my expectations of Him were so low... I didn't think He would show up or answer my prayer, but He did.

Last night I went for a walk through Stoney Creek and prayed the same prayer, also not expecting much. I walked an entire six miles and didn't see a deer. It was now really dark out and I knew there was no way I could even see a deer in the dark. My immediate thought was, "Of course God has nothing to do with whether I see a deer or not." Just as I was coming up to my car I looked to the foggy meadow on my left and saw the elegant shadows of a family of deer. I started crying, not just because it was such a beautiful scene, but because God showed up even when I doubted Him and banked on Him not coming through. He is so faithful. Even though it took until the very end of my adventure that night, His timing was perfect because it was such a beautiful picture that I will remember forever. And during the time before I saw I deer God showed me the amazing landscape He designed which I probably wouldn't have admired so much if He just gave me the deer right away.

These are just a few of my deer encounters, but they just parallel so much to how I view God everyday. I pray for Him to show up and don't even believe that He will. When it's not in my timing, I just throw in the towel and tell myself that God just doesn't care. I hate that I have such a hard time trusting that God is faithful and that He always fulfills His promises. But I love that He always proves me wrong. He is more faithful than I could describe and He loves me more than I deserve.

Back to the deer...whether or not they have anything to do with answered prayers or a severe overpopulation of deer in the area, they are God's beautiful creation and I love them. I couldn't watch Bambi all the way through until 9th grade because I was so sad when Bambi's mom died and I was scared of the forest fire. But I support deer hunting...they really are dangerously overpopulated. And I'm scared to death of hitting one with my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment